When I first started up 34th & Now, I wasn’t entirely sure of where I wanted to go with it; I knew what I wanted to focus on—the bands, music, and art that I enjoy—but I wasn’t too sure why anyone else would want to read it. What I did know was that if I somehow turned even one person on to a new band that they had never heard before, I would consider it a success; a sentiment that lies at the heart of the latest 34th & Now download, These City Lights: A Mixtape in Seven Acts.
As an avid fan of reading music blogs to discover bands, I know it can sometimes be frustrating to realize, after buying an album, that a band’s overall sound is nothing like you expected based on the one track you heard. To combat that problem, this latest mixtape features seven of the bands that I have recently blogged about—and totally dig—and offers three tracks by each; some tracks are old, some are new, but they were all specifically chosen to give you an idea of the band in question and, hopefully, help you find something new you enjoy.
You can pick up the mixtape here as a free zip file.
- Oh La - Ra Ra Riot
- Boy - Ra Ra Riot
- Too Dramatic - Ra Ra Riot
- A Children’s Crusade… - Margot & The Nuclear So and So
- Quiet as a Mouse - Margot & The Nuclear So and So
- Barfight Revolution… - Margot & The Nuclear So and So
- Almost Everything - Wakey!Wakey!
- Light Outside - Wakey!Wakey!
- Square Peg Round Hole - Wakey!Wakey!
- Miles Davis & The Cool - The Gaslight Anthem
- Here’s Looking at You, Kid - The Gaslight Anthem
- Stay Lucky - The Gaslight Anthem
- Fake Empire - The National
- Green Gloves - The National
- Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National
- Now The One You Once Loved is Leaving - Lydia
- Fate - Lydia
- Stay Awake - Lydia
- Blue Blood - Foals
- Spanish Sahara - Foals
- 2 Trees - Foals
[As always if you like the music, please support the artists]